Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Four Seasons Foldable Freebie!


Hi everyone,

I know it has been ages since my last post, but it has been a long school term so far.  I battled the flu season and lost big time, as well as just trying to make it over that Winter hump...bring on Spring I say!!

Speaking of seasons,  I thought I would share one of the simplest lessons that I have done this year.  It was a spur of the moment lesson as my planned one just wasn't making sense to my kiddies!!

A couple of weeks ago my maths class were reviewing Measurement, and in particular Time.  We have got the whole telling time on the hour and half hour down, but they were still struggling with reading a calendar and remembering which months went with which season.

To cut a long story short, I ditched my planned lesson after about 10 minutes!  I listed the seasons on the board and the months in each season next to them.  The kiddies then came and wrote their names beside their birthday month and since all of my maths class celebrate Christmas, we also listed that as well.

I then got them to make a foldable.  They wrote the season on the front of each little 'page' and decorated it with drawings that reminded them of that season.

Inside, they wrote the corresponding months for each season.

This one little lesson satisfied curriculum outcomes from Maths, English and HSIE!!  A really good reminder for me that sometimes the simplest lessons can often be the most effective, in many ways!!  My kiddies told me that they LOVED making the foldable and that it was sooooo much fun!  Hearing that sure made my day, as many of my friends know how much teaching maths scares me!!

Anyhoo,  I have created a proper printed version that I will use next time.

There is an Australian version using the word 'Autumn'.  CLICK HERE for this version!

There is also a version for my US friends using the word 'Fall'. CLICK HERE for this version!

I hope you find it useful in your classrooms.

We have also been really busy studying Living Things in science...hence our family are now the lucky owners of our class 'living things'!

Yep ... 4 gorgeous chickens!!   More about them in my next post:)

Thanks so much for sticking with me here on my blog and for stopping by!

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

Tina xx


16 comments:

  1. I am with you on wishing for the end of Winter (not many days left). Though up here warmer weather has started....yeah!!! Thanks for the seasons idea - will have to give it a go at the start of Spring in a few days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith. Glad you like the seasons foldable, it sure helped my kiddies make sense of the months belonging to each one! Enjoy that warmer weather!!! Have a great week ahead :)

      Delete
  2. Cute foldable! Hope youre feeling better soon
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! Feeling good now, thanks:) Enjoy your week and the start of Spring - woo hoo!!

      Delete
  3. Love the foldable! Pinned and saved! Thanks!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori!! WOW, thanks so much! I am thrilled that you liked the foldable. Hope it can come in handy for you :) Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy week ahead to you!!

      Delete
  4. LOVE foldables!! Those chickens...my goodness...I remember when they were teeny tiny! Just a reminder that life changes too quickly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annie!! Lol ... the chickens have grown so much in such a short time!! My kiddies are amazed every time I take them into class :) We love having them free ranging in our yard at home!! They really add so much to our way of life here in the country as well as being great 'living things' for my class:D Have been using your pre-primer sight word money packet in class with my littlest blossoms and it is just FANTASTIC!! You are amazing! x

      Delete
  5. Your chickens are fantastic! I love it! What a fun and memorable experience for your kids. I wish we could have class pets...I mean live science experiments. Hehe. Your foldables turned out really cute too. Sometimes the best lessons come out of necessity and spontaneity. :)

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda:) Thanks so much for your kind words about our chickens, lol! I love them and my kiddies get so excited when I take them into class and they can observe the changes in them:) Also a bonus to have them wandering around our back garden:) They make me smile!! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comment:) x

      Delete
  6. Yay, Tina! I'm your 200th follower and a fellow Aussie :)

    Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shanyn! Thank you so much for following along here! And congrats for being my 200th follower!! I am just jumping across to your blog to say Hi!! Happy beginning of Spring to you :D

      Delete
  7. Hi Tina - LOVE the foldable and pinned it to our collaborative foldable page. Thanks for making us a special FALL version . . . Autumn can NOT come soon enough to TX!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara! THANK YOU so much for pinning my foldable, you are so kind!! I am so glad that you liked it and I really hope it will be useful for you :) I have seen the temperatures in Texas...WOW! One hot summer you have had!! Hoping for cooler (but not too cool) weather for you! Mind you...I am so over our cold winter and I am really looking forward to some sunshine!! Wishing you a lovely week :)

      Delete
  8. I really like that idea, doing a foldable for the seasons. I must try that next time we are looking at seasons. :o) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving this Tina :) I'll be tying this in with the book 'A Year on our Farm'. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I love to hear your comments and will read and respond to every one. ~ Txx