Yesterday was my second day ever, of substitute teaching!! I have to be honest and say that it was beyond a disaster, with one class member having a total meltdown in the afternoon session, resulting in me having to call the Principal for help. But, whilst I found (and am still finding) this quite distressing, there were lots of positive and fun moments from throughout the day.
I had written up a whole day plan based on the fabulous and funny book 'Diary of a Fly' by Doreen Cronin. I used the free online version from TUMBLEBOOKS, which I found HERE.
At the end of the day, we did a really fun visual arts / science activity. We talked about push / pull and friction, and found some classroom objects to illustrate these concepts with lots of hands-on pushing and pulling. Then the students coloured in their choice of fun fly pictures, and we made CLIMBING FLIES, following this fabulous tutorial from ALMOST UNSCHOOLERS. The students were so excited when they made their flies crawl up the string. The students that had finished making their flies, organised themselves to hang their flies on their bag hooks and they had a 'whole class mega fly race' before the hometime bell :) Lots of fun!!
Happy weekend everyone!









What a great idea with the climbing spider! Definitely one to bookmark and come back to when we do mini-beasts next year!
ReplyDeleteToo bad about the meltdown that kiddo had - I'm always worried that one of mine will when I have a relief! Glad the rest of the day was ok!
Kylie
Hi Kylie! Oh I am so envious....I am just itching to do a mini-beast unit!! These crawling flies were such a huge hit with the class and I even did crawling spiders with a different class last week...again they absolutely loved them (and the science behind the concept!). Hope you have lots of fun if you make some!! Regarding the whole 'meltdown' incident, some distance has been good and I have taken it on board as a learning experience :) Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!
ReplyDelete